The Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP) offers resources to help federal agencies implement energy savings performance contracts (ESPCs). ESPC resources are listed by essential education, phases of the ESPC process, and general information.
- Essential Education
- Phase 1: Acquisition Planning
- Phase 2: Energy Service Company Selection and Preliminary Assessment
- Phase 3: Project Development Through Task Order Award
- Phase 4: Implementation, Construction, and Project Acceptance
- Phase 5: Performance Period
- Measurement and Verification
- General ESPC Information
These resources offer helpful information about structuring sound ESPC projects with sustained savings.
U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Indefinite-Delivery, Indefinite-Quantity (IDIQ) ESPC Master Contract and Modifications
Frequently Asked Questions and Best Practices
- Frequently Asked Questions about ESPCs: Overview of federal ESPCs and FEMP's ESPC activity
- Best Practices and Lessons Learned for Federal Agency FEMP ESPC Projects: Shares agency experiences with ESPC projects
- Recognizing and Assigning ESPC Risks and Responsibilities Using the Risk, Responsibility, and Performance Matrix: Explains how task order terms allocate ESPC risks and responsibilities
Savings Allowed to Fund Payments
- Practical Guide to Savings and Payments in FEMP ESPC Task Orders: Details acceptable savings for funding ESPC payments to the contractor
- Guidance on New Construction under an Energy Savings Performance Contract: Discusses when new construction may be included in an ESPC
- Guidance on the Statutory Definition of Energy/Water Conservation Measures (ECMs) for ESPCs, and Determining Life Cycle Cost-Effectiveness for ESPCs with Multiple or Single ECMs: Clarifies how an ESPC can consist of a single ECM (such as a combined heat and power plant)
- Potential for the Use of Energy Savings Performance Contracts to Reduce Energy Consumption and Provide Energy and Cost Savings in Non-Building Applications: Provides information on the use of energy savings performance contracts in non-building applications
Phase 1: Acquisition Planning
Documents, templates, and guidance for phase 1 of the ESPC process.
- Best Practices and Lessons Learned for Federal Agency ESPC Projects: See sections 1-3: Introduction, General Best Practices, and Acquisition Planning.
- Interagency Agreement for U.S. Department of Energy Project Facilitator Support Form: Form for engaging the services of a FEMP project facilitator
- FEMP Suggested ESPC Milestone Plan: Excel tool and example of an ESPC project milestone plan
- Tri-Party Agreement for Energy Savings Performance Contracts: Template for ESPC project responsibilities
Preliminary Planning for Specialized Energy Conservation Measures
- Renewable Energy Screening for ESPCs: Outlines process and data needed for screening advanced technology projects
- Water Project Screening Tool: Excel file enables federal agencies to quickly screen sites for water-efficiency opportunities
- Including Retro-Commissioning in Federal Energy Savings Performance Contracts: Describes the benefits of and process for conducting retro-commissioning
- Example Retro-Commissioning Statement of Work to Include Services as Part of an ESPC Investment-Grade Audit: Offers a sample statement of work to include retro-commissioning in the ESPC
Phase 2: Energy Service Company Selection and Preliminary Assessment
Documents, templates, and guidance for phase 2 of the ESPC process.
- Best Practices and Lessons Learned for Federal Agency ESPC Projects: See sections 4-5: Energy Service Company (ESCO) Selection and Preliminary Assessment.
Notice of Opportunity
- ESCO Selector: Online tool agencies can use to develop a notice of opportunity (NOO) and NOO response evaluation forms.
- Standard Basic Notice of Opportunity Template: Template and sample of a brief, basic, compliant NOO
- NOO Templates and Best Practices: Text version of the ESCO Selector, which includes all NOO guidance and templates
- NOO-Response-Evaluation Templates: Forms correlated with ESCO Selector and NOO templates for agencies to use to evaluate ESCO NOO responses
- Past Performance Questionnaire: Attachment to the Notice of Opportunity: Form for agency request for feedback from ESCOs’ past customers
- Guidance for Using ESCO Oral Presentations in ESPC Source Selection: Guidance for agencies allowing ESCOs to make presentations or attend agency meetings as part of a second down-selection
- Letter to Successful Company: Template for agency letter informing an ESCO that it was selected for a project
- Letter to Unsuccessful Company: Template for agencey letter informing an ESCO that it was not selected for a project
- Agenda: Preliminary Assessment Kickoff Meeting: Standard agenda for the preliminary assessment (PA) kickoff meeting
- Agenda: Preliminary Assessment Development Teleconference: Standard agenda for the teleconference to discuss the in-progress PA
- Preliminary Assessment Template: Sample of an ESPC PA
- Preliminary Assessment Review for Federal ESPCs: Worksheet template for agency PA review
Notice of Intent to Award
- Notice of Intent to Award Letter: Template for the agency letter notifying an ESCO of its intent to award it an ESPC
Phase 3: Project Development Through Task Order Award Resources
Documents, templates, and guidance for phase 3 of the ESPC process.
- Best Practices and Lessons Learned for Federal Agency ESPC Projects: See sections 8-9: Review of the IGA/Proposal and Critical Outcomes of Review.
Task Order Request for Proposal
- DOE ESPC Task Order Request for Proposal (TO-RFP) Template: Template to facilitate the project facilitator's drafting of and the agency's finalizing of the TO-RFP
Investment-Grade Audit Process
- Investment-Grade Audit Kickoff Meeting Agenda: Standard agenda for investment-grade audit (IGA) kickoff meeting
- Agenda: Investment-Grade Audit Midpoint Review Meeting: Standard agenda for an IGA midpoint review meeting
- Agenda: Investment-Grade Audit Review Workshop: Standard agenda for the IGA review workshop
- Investment-Grade Audit: Review Checklist: Checklist for reviewing an IGA
- ESPC Project Review Comment Template: Template for documenting the project facilitator (or other’s) review of the PA, IGA, commissioning plan, and other ESCO deliverables
Proposal Review: Task Order Financial Schedules
- Task Order Financial Schedules (IDIQ Attachment J-6): Required format
- Descriptions of Task Order Schedules and Placement of Pricing Information (IDIQ Attachment J-5): Required format
- eProject Builder: Excel-based tool for producing ESPC task order schedules
Proposal Review: Pricing
- Determining Price Reasonableness in Federal ESPCs: Guidance and recommended process for determining fair and reasonable pricing of ESPCs
- Task Order Price Evaluation Worksheet for ESPCs: Suggested price review topics
Proposal Review: Financing
- Investor Deal Summary (IDIQ Attachment J-11): Required format for summarizing an investor or ESCO's deal in an ESPC
- Standard Financing Offer (IDIQ Attachment J-12): Required format for an ESCO financing offer
- Review of ESPC Financing: Form for documenting review of project financing
- Guidance Regarding Refinancing, Restructuring, or Modifying Loan Agreements Entered into by an Energy Services Company Under a Federal Energy Savings Performance Contract: Guidance on refinancing ESPCs
Task Order Award
- DOE FEMP Procedure for Notifying Congress Prior to Award of ESPCs: Process and guidance
- Sample Deliverables for Task Orders: Pre-award ESPC deliverables sample
- Best Practices and Lessons Learned for Federal Agency ESPC Projects: See section 10: Final Negotiations and Task Order Award.
Phase 4: Implementation, Construction, and Project Acceptance
Documents, templates, and guidance for phase 4 of the ESPC process.
- Construction Kickoff Meeting Agenda: Standard agenda for the construction kickoff meeting
- Post-Award Deliverables Sample: Example of a post-award deliverable list
- Planning and Reporting for Operations and Maintenance in Federal ESPCs: Process and guidance
- Guidelines, Checklist, and Contract Clauses for Government Acceptance of DOE ESPC Projects: Process and guidance for agency acceptance of completed construction
- Commissioning Guidance for ESPCs: Process and guidance
Phase 5: Performance Period
Documents, templates, and guidance for phase 5 of the ESPC process.
- Best Practices and Lessons Learned for Federal Agency ESPC Projects: See section 11: Measurement and Verification.
- ESPC Best Practices from Life of Contract Field Reviews: Offers FEMP experience with the life-of-contract process
- ESPC Past Performance Questionnaire: Form for agency to use to report ESCO performance
- DOE ESPC Life of Contract Plan Template: Process and guidance on ESPC administration in performance period
Measurement and Verification
Documents, templates, and guidance for measurement and verification (M&V) in ESPCs.
M&V Process and Guidelines
- M&V Guidelines: Measurement and Verification for Federal Energy Projects: Process and guidance
- Guide to Government Witnessing and Review of Measurement and Verification Activities: Process and guidance
- How to Determine and Verify Operations and Maintenance Savings in Federal ESPCs: Process and guidance
- Example Measurement and Verification Plan for an ESPC Project: Sample contract document
- Measurement and Verification Plan and Savings Calculations Methods Outline (IDIQ Attachment J-8): Required format
- Guidance on Utility Rate Estimations and Weather Normalization in an ESPC: Shows how estimated energy rates and normalized weather data are used in calculating savings.
M&V Post-Installation and Performance Period
- Post-Installation Report Outline (IDIQ Attachment J-9): Required format for post-installation M&V report
- Reviewing Measurement and Verification Plans for Federal ESPC Projects: Process and guidance
- Annual Report Outline (IDIQ Attachment J-10): Required format for an ESPC annual report
Life Cycle Costing Tools and Guidance
- Building Life Cycle Cost Program
- Energy Escalation Rate Calculator
- Handbook 135: The Life Cycle Costing Manual for FEMP
- Energy Price Indices and Discount Factors for Life Cycle Cost Analysis 2015
General ESPC Information
These resources offer general information about FEMP's ESPC activity.
- Energy Savings Performance Contracts: Overview of FEMP's ESPC activity
- Energy Savings Performance Contracts: FEMP Assistance: Describes FEMP assistance and services for ESPC projects