Twelve universities sent teams to the Collegiate Wind Competition 2016 in New Orleans, Louisiana on May 23–26, 2016. Hailing from across the United States, from Alaska to Puerto Rico, with five new schools and seven returning schools from the 2014 competition, the 2016 contestants were:
- Boise State University
- The California Maritime Academy
- California State University, Chico
- Kansas State University
- Northern Arizona University
- The Pennsylvania State University
- Universidad del Turabo (Puerto Rico)
- University of Alaska Fairbanks
- University of Maryland
- University of Massachusetts Amherst
- University of Massachusetts Lowell
- University of Wisconsin–Madison.
The Energy Department congratulates first, second, and third place champions Pennsylvania State University, University of Massachusetts Lowell, and Boise State University, respectively.