The SEED Platform™ makes it easy to manage and share data on the energy performance of buildings.
The Standard Energy Efficiency Data (SEED) Platform™ is an open source software application that fills a major market need for data-driven energy efficiency program design and implementation. In today’s digital age, the amount of data available to inform decision making has increased rapidly in sectors such as health, weather, and transportation, but quality information on building energy performance is still limited and disconnected. While there has been a significant influx of building performance data in recent years, data management can be costly and time consuming for states, local governments and other organizations, which have limited time and resources. The SEED Platform helps users easily combine data from multiple sources, clean and validate it, and share the information with others. The software application provides a flexible and cost-effective method to improve the quality and availability of data to help demonstrate the economic and environmental benefits of energy efficiency, track program activities and target investments. To get started with SEED you can view a demo and request a test account.
The SEED Platform Collaborative is a strategic effort to help cities and states successfully transition to using the SEED Platform to manage building energy performance data and identify opportunities for efficiency improvements in their jurisdictions. Through the Collaborative, DOE is providing free hosting of the SEED Platform, technical support, a peer community and opportunities to provide input on future software development. Major national nonprofit organizations have also joined as Allies to help promote the Collaborative’s goals, activities and lessons learned. Additionally, interested companies can join as Affiliates and offer SEED-based products and services. To learn more and get involved visit the SEED Collaborative webpage.
- Import data from multiple sources about the same group of buildings, and merge the datasets together.
- Translate the data into a standard format, and conduct cleansing and range checks to identify errors.
- Search the data and create projects and reports to support activities, such as energy performance benchmarking and monitoring or portfolio-level performance analysis.
- Generate charts and graphs displaying key metrics for groups of buildings.
- Share selected data with other software tools, public-facing dashboards, researchers, consultants, and others through the Application Programming Interface (API).
- SEED makes data management easier. SEED helps automate the process of formatting, matching and cleaning data. SEED allows multiple parties to work on the same dataset and keep track of edits and activities. As a result, SEED helps increase data quality and save staff time.
- SEED is free. The core SEED software is free and can be used as-is. DOE currently provides free software and data hosting, but users can also install the software on their own servers or use the cloud or approved third-party hosting providers. Users can also purchase add-on products or services from SEED Affiliates.
- SEED is connected. SEED can handle many kinds of data imported from related tools such as EPA Portfolio Manager™, Green Button, the DOE’s Commercial Building Energy Asset Score and Home Energy Score.
- SEED is a national standard. The SEED Platform is supported by the US Department of Energy to provide a common, interoperable platform for the industry. It uses the BEDES data format.
- SEED is open source. The core SEED code is open source, which means that anyone can add onto or modify the software. Code enhancements can be contributed back to the project so that everyone benefits.