June 5, 2002
Closure of the Fernald Environmental Management Project
From 1954 through 1989, the mission of the Department of Energy's Fernald Environmental Management Project (FEMP) was the production of high-purity uranium metals for use in the Department's nuclear weapons program. The Department suspended all production operations at the site in 1989 and, in 1991, it formally ended the site's production mission. The first environmental restoration contract at the FEMP was awarded to the Fernald Environmental Restoration Management Corporation, now known as Fluor Fernald, Inc. (Fluor), in 1992. From December of that year through November 2000, Fluor managed the site's cleanup activities, and in November 2000, was awarded the FEMP's closure contract.