GC-52 provides legal advice to DOE regarding research and development of nuclear fuel and waste management technologies that meet the nation's energy supply, environmental, and energy security needs. GC-52 also advises DOE on issues involving support for international fuel cycle initiatives aimed at advancing a common vision of the necessity of the expansion of nuclear energy for peaceful purposes worldwide in a safe and secure manner.
In addition, GC-52 provides legal advice to DOE regarding the management and disposition of excess uranium in DOE’s uranium stockpile. GC-52 attorneys participate in meetings of DOE’s Uranium Inventory Management Coordinating Committee and provide advice on compliance with statutory requirements for the sale or transfer of uranium.
- Atomic Energy Act of 1954
- Nuclear Non-Proliferation Act of 1978
- Nuclear Waste Policy Act of 1982
- USEC (United States Enrichment Corporation) Privatization Act, Section 3112
- Office of Nuclear Energy (NE)
- Secretary of Energy’s Policy Statement on Management of the Department of Energy’s Excess Uranium Inventory
- DOE’s Excess Uranium Inventory Management Plan