You are here

General Questions

Where can I find more information regarding federal and state programs to help weatherize my home?

The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Weatherization Assistance Program enables low-income families to permanently reduce their energy bills by making their homes more energy efficient. Funds are used to improve the energy performance of dwellings of needy families using the most advanced technologies and testing protocols available in the housing industry. The Weatherization Assistance Program is operated by DOE’s Weatherization and Intergovernmental Program (OWIP) office.

DOE’s Weatherization Assistance Program does not provide weatherization services directly to individuals for their home energy efficiency projects. Instead, it provides funding to states, U.S. overseas territories, and Indian tribal governments, which manage the day-to-day details of the program. These governments, in turn, fund a network of local community action agencies, nonprofit organizations, and local governments that provide these weatherization services in every state, the District of Columbia, U.S. territories, and among Native American tribes.

View the interactive U.S. map where you look up the contact information for state and local Weatherization Assistance Program representatives in your area. They can tell you about the federal programs and resources that may be available to help weatherize your home. In addition, you can use the interactive U.S. map to contact personnel in your State Energy Office, who can advise about any state programs you might qualify for to help with your home weatherization project. You can also consult DOE’s Energy Savers website to learn how you can take advantage of rebates for ENERGY STAR appliances, energy efficient mortgages and financing, and tax credits for energy efficiency improvements to your home.