The Office of Security maintains the Department of Energy’s security integrity through the development and promulgation of safeguards and security policy for the protection of the National Security and other critical assets entrusted to the Department. The Office protects the Department's critical assets and national security by providing security expertise to assist Headquarters and field elements in planning site protection strategies and by coordinating with domestic authorities to provide safeguards and security technical assistance, technical systems support, and new technology adaptation and deployment opportunities.
- Establishes policies, procedures and guidance for DOE-wide security to include program management and support, physical security, protective forces, information protection, personnel security, nuclear materials control and accountability, with all subordinate security topics.
- Coordinates with Other Government Agencies (OGA) regarding planning and implementation issues, and establishes approaches to protect activities funded by OGA at DOE facilities (work for others programs).
- Provides direction and control to manage the Security Assistance Program.
- Provides direction and control to manage the Technology Deployment Program.
- Provides direction and control to manage the Department Personnel Security Program.
- Provides direction and management oversight of the security assistance program to include Performance Testing and Analysis Initiatives (PTAI). PTAI serves as the Departmental resource for implementing innovative and cost-effective protection strategies by fostering collaboration between field and Headquarters security professionals. PTAI expands the Department’s performance test capabilities, enhances the quality and availability of data critical to testing and analytical efforts, and improves the complex’s ability to assess the effectiveness of new security concepts and strategies. PTAI:
- Conducts adversary “Red Cell” analyses of protection strategies and technologies,
- Conducts analyses of advanced tactics, equipment, and evolving security needs,
- Analyzes and provides adversary Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures (TTP),
- Develops realistic and demanding adversary scenarios for performance testing,
- Develops standardized performance test and safety protocols, tools, and simulation methods,
- Develops tactical simulation products and target analysis concepts,
- Provides extensive web-accessible library of security related information,
- Compiles and disseminates security related test data, and
- Provides state-of-the-art classified facilities for target analysis and war gaming.
- Provides direction and control to manage the Department’s Safeguards and Security Information Management System (SSIMS) providing a dynamic collection and analysis capability for current and historical information.
- Provides direction and control for the review of safeguards and security findings, surveys, and other oversight reports to identify trends, potential impacts to, or suggestions for operational enhancement or enhancements in policy.
- Establishes the DOE Graded Security Protection Policy (GSPP) and associated vulnerability assessment policy guidance and technical standards.
- Represents the Department in the development of government-wide safeguards and security policies, to include Executive orders, proposed legislation, regulatory actions, and Presidential directives.
- Establishes policy, procedures, and guidance for foreign visits, assignments, and for the foreign ownership, control or influence (FOCI) program.
- Manages and maintains the DOE e-FOCI system.
- Renders determinations on security mitigation plans for companies whose FOCI exceed Departmental thresholds.
- Acts as DOE liaison to other federal agencies and the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States in regards to FOCI actions.
- Updates policy and procedures to ensure effective DOE policy and guidance in nuclear materials transportation safeguards and security (Materials Control and Accountability).
- Establishes policy, procedures, and guidance for the Personnel Security program.