Under the SunShot Initiative, the DOE Solar Office issues competitive solicitations that fund selective research projects aimed at transforming the ways the United States generates, stores, and utilizes solar energy.
The targeted strategies supported by the SunShot Initiative include activities that seek to:
- Shorten the amount of time needed to move promising new solar photovoltaic and concentrating solar power technologies from development to commercialization
- Increase efficiency, reduce production costs, and open new markets for solar energy
- Foster collaboration for utility-scale solutions and clear the way for high-penetration solar
- Strengthen the U.S. supply chain for solar manufacturing and commercialization of cutting-edge photovoltaic technologies
- Invest in education, policy analysis, and technical assistance to remove critical barriers
- Develop a well-trained workforce to foster U.S. job creation in the solar industry.
The SunShot Initiative's overall mission is to make the total cost of solar energy economically viable for everyday use, so that all Americans can benefit from this clean renewable energy resource.