The Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP) provides agencies with guidance and direction on how to reduce water use and increase water efficiency in federal buildings and campuses.
Three legal authorities require agencies to reduce water use and implement water efficiency measures: Executive Order (E.O.) 13423, Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, and E.O. 13514. Learn more about water use reduction requirements.
Agencies are also required to include water-efficient elements in new construction per the Guiding Principles for Federal Leadership in High-Performance and Sustainable Buildings and install water meters in buildings per the Presidential Memorandum: Federal Leadership on Energy Management.
Start increasing water efficiency by following these steps.
- Read guidance on meeting the requirements of E.O. 13514.
- Develop a water management plan to meet water use reduction goals.
- Browse water efficiency best management practices for project ideas.
- Find training on how to reduce water use in agencies.
- Investigate alternative water to help offset the use of freshwater.
What Success Looks Like
Read case studies about agencies that have successfully implemented water-reduction technologies and measures.