The U.S. Department of Energy's Housing Innovation Awards recognize the very best in innovation on the path to zero energy ready homes. The 2014 Housing Innovation Awards ceremony will be held on September 23, 2014, at EEBA’s Excellence in Building Conference in St. Louis, MO. The awards will recognize leaders from a number of Building Technologies Office residential programs including the DOE Zero Energy Ready Home (formerly DOE Challenge Home), Home Performance with ENERGY STAR®, and Building America Top Innovations.
The 2014 awards will feature builders in custom, production and affordable categories who are leading a major housing industry transformation to zero energy ready homes.
Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® Participating Contractors
The Home Performance with ENERGY STAR Program will present Housing Innovation Awards to participating contractors who demonstrate innovative business practices that make them leaders among their peers. Award winners take on challenges and apply unique approaches to realize notable success in their local Home Performance with ENERGY STAR markets. They exhibit outstanding professionalism, build strong customer relationships, and apply building science solutions to improve homes. Award winners will be specifically recognized for achievements in the following categories:
- Customer Relations: Nominees must be able to demonstrate an effective, systematic approach to building strong customer relationships including established channels for customer feedback, consistently high customer ratings, and responsiveness to customer concerns. Participating contractors with strong customer relations are able to anticipate and proactively manage customer needs.
- High Energy Savings: Nominees must consistently achieve verified high energy savings for Home Performance with ENERGY STAR projects and be able to demonstrate replicable and innovative approaches to achieve savings.
- Industry Leadership: Nominees must provide evidence of leadership in their existing market by showcasing efforts to engage in local and national policy, training and mentoring, industry trade groups and continuing education.
- Sales and Marketing: Nominees must provide evidence for innovative approaches to marketing Home Performance with ENERGY STAR services and demonstrate success by connecting marketing activities to sales. Nominees may also consider highlighting unique partnerships, community events, marketing campaigns, or uniquely efficient or effective approaches to the sales process.
Local Home Performance with ENERGY STAR Sponsors may nominate up to two (2) participating contractors for the award. Applications were released on April 10, 2014, and must be submitted to email@example.com by Monday, June 9.
Building America Top Innovations
The 2014 Top Innovations will feature transformative advancements to the residential building industry. Innovations sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) Building America program continue to lead our nation's home building industry in high-performance homes. Building America researchers have worked directly with more than 300 U.S. production home builders and have boosted the performance of more than 42,000 new homes. Learn more about the 2013 winners here.
2013 Housing Innovation Awards
The 2013 Housing Innovation Awards were presented on October 4, 2013, at a breakfast ceremony during the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Solar Decathlon 2013 in Irvine, CA. The awards showcased a number of the Building Technologies Office residential programs under one umbrella event. Learn more about the 2013 winners below.
- Clifton View Homes [Winner]
- Dwell Development [Winner]
- Weiss Building & Development, LLC [Grand Winner]
- BPC Green Builders [Winner]
- Caldwell & Johnson Custom Builders & Remodelers [Winner]
- e2 Homes [Winner]
- Ferguson Design & Construction, Inc. [Winner]
- Preferred Builders, Inc. [Grand Winner]
- StreetScape Development, LLC [Winner]
- Transformations, Inc. [Winner]
- Weiss Building & Development, LLC [Winner]
- Garbett Homes [Winner]
- KB Home [Winner]
- New Town Builders [Grand Winner]
- Nexus EnergyHomes [Winner]
- Palo Duro Homes, Inc. [Winner]
- Transformations, Inc. [Winner]