The U.S. Department of Energy's Housing Innovation Awards recognize the very best in innovation on the path to zero net-energy ready homes. The awards, presented on October 4, 2013, at a breakfast ceremony during the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Solar Decathlon 2013 in Irvine, CA, showcase a number of the Building Technologies Office residential programs under one umbrella event.
Presented to DOE Challenge Home builders who are leading a major housing industry transformation to zero net-energy ready homes. The DOE Challenge Home designation is the symbol of excellence in home building. Only a select group of the top builders in the country meet the extraordinary levels of excellence and quality specified by U.S. Department of Energy guidelines.
- Clifton View Homes [Winner]
- Dwell Development [Winner]
- Weiss Building & Development, LLC [Grand Winner]
- BPC Green Builders [Winner]
- Caldwell & Johnson Custom Builders & Remodelers [Winner]
- e2 Homes [Winner]
- Ferguson Design & Construction, Inc. [Winner]
- Preferred Builders, Inc. [Grand Winner]
- StreetScape Development, LLC [Winner]
- Transformations, Inc. [Winner]
- Weiss Building & Development, LLC [Winner]
- Garbett Homes [Winner]
- KB Home [Winner]
- New Town Builders [Grand Winner]
- Nexus EnergyHomes [Winner]
- Palo Duro Homes, Inc. [Winner]
- Transformations, Inc. [Winner]
- Ithaca Neighborhood Housing Services [Winner]
- Mandalay Homes [Grand Winner]
- Manatee County Habitat for Humanity [Winner]
- TC Legend Homes [Winner]
Presented to participating contractors who have demonstrated innovative business practices that mark them as leaders among their peers. The award winning contractors take measured risks and unique approaches to realize success in their local HPwES markets. They exhibit outstanding professionalism, build strong customer relationships, and apply building science solutions to improve homes. Only contractors that take part in rigorous training, apply the whole-house approach, adhere to program requirements, and continuously improve their workmanship through quality assurance measures can engage with Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® as participating contractors.
- Energy Efficiencies Solutions [Winner] Customer Relations and Market Leadership
- Halco [Winner] Market Leadership, Energy Savings, and Sales & Marketing
- Insulation Technologies [Winner] Customer Relations and Energy Savings
- Powersmith Home Energy Solutions [Winner] Market Leadership, Energy Savings, and Sales & Marketing
Excellence in Building Science Education Award
Presented as a joint award with the National Consortium of Housing Research Centers (NCHRC) and DOE to advance the state of building science curricula across the United States and Canada.
Patrick Huelman, Associate Extension Professor in the Department of Bioproducts and Biosystems Engineering at the University of Minnesota, has received the Excellence in Building Science Education Award from the National Consortium of Housing Research Centers (NCHRC). Professor Huelman is recognized for his exemplary work teaching building science and preparing a generation to produce buildings that are energy efficient, healthy, comfortable, and durable.
Twenty recipients contributed to 10 Building America Top Innovations that are transforming the market.
Building America 2013 Top Innovations
|Advanced Technologies and Practices|
|1. Next Generation Advanced Framing||PHI|
|2. High-Performance Ducts||CARB|
|3. High-Efficiency Furnace Blower||LBNL|
|4. High-Efficiency Window AC||NREL|
|House-as-a-System Business Case|
|5. Zero-Energy Ready Single-Family Homes||BA-PIRC
|Effective Guidance and Tools|
|6. Exterior Rigid Insulation Best Practices||VBSC
|7. Window Replacement, Rehabilitation, & Repair Guide||BSC|
|8. Quality Management System Guidelines||PHI
|9. Building America Solution Center||PNNL|
|10. Standardized Data Sharing System (HPXML)||NREL|
Thank you to BASF for making the Housing Innovation Awards breakfast possible. Also, thanks to DuPont for supporting the DOE Challenge Home Builder Awards and MASCO for supporting the Building America Top Innovation Awards.