The DOE Zero Energy Ready Home offers leading builders and architects/designers a timely solution for differentiating their product from existing homes as well as minimum code new homes. The DOE Zero Energy Ready Home label – the home of the future today - makes it easy for consumers to identify high-performance homes that are so energy efficient a renewable energy system can offset most or all annual energy consumption.
What is a DOE Zero Energy Ready Home? A DOE Zero Energy Ready Home is a home that meets all of the criteria found in the DOE Zero Energy Ready Home National Program Requirements. DOE Zero Energy Ready Homes are verified by a qualified third-party and are at least 40%-50% more energy efficient than a typical new home. This generally corresponds to a Home Energy Rating System (HERS) Index Score in the low to mid-50s, depending on the size of the home and region in which it is built.
All DOE Zero Energy Ready Homes are so efficient a renewable energy system can offset most or all annual energy consumption.
The customizable Homes to the Power of ZERO flier provides a quick graphic comparison of DOE Zero Energy Ready Homes to recent vintage existing homes and ENERGY STAR Homes on relative levels of comfort, indoor environment, durability, advanced technology, construction quality, and energy efficiency. The methodology behind the comparison details the analysis of previously unaccounted for measurements to provide a clear comparison of the benefits of a DOE Zero Energy Ready Home.
What is expected of partners? Every type of partner has its own role. Review the appropriate partnership agreement package for more information on partner expectations:
- Builder partners construct single-family homes, multifamily buildings, affordable housing, manufactured homes or develop land specifications that meet the DOE Zero Energy Ready Home National Program Requirements.
- Verifier partners are accredited Home Energy Raters, Building America team members, or participate in other accredited verification programs who provide third-party verification that homes meet DOE Zero Energy Ready Home National Program Requirements.
- Architect and designer partners design single-family homes, multifamily buildings, affordable housing, or manufactured homes to meet DOE Zero Energy Ready Home National Program Requirements.
- Lender partners offer mortgage services for residential properties that meet DOE Zero Energy Ready Home National Program Requirements.
- NEW: Innovation partners are leaders who support a national campaign to educate consumers on the benefits of DOE Zero Energy Ready Homes by promoting the Tour of Zero.
- Training partners are leaders who host and promote DOE Zero Energy Ready Home training.
- All partners should review and be familiar with the Guidelines for Correctly Using the DOE Zero Energy Ready Home Name and Logo.
How do I become a partner? To become a partner, register online by completing contact information, uploading your company logo, and making additional commitments if you are a builder. Once you've given your electronic signature and submitted your registration, look for a confirmation by email with your password to access your account.
How do I learn about the DOE Zero Energy Ready Home benefits and how to qualify a home? To learn more about the DOE Zero Energy Ready Home join us at an event, enjoy online training and webinars, and browse our other resources.
How do I get recognized as a partner? Active accounts will appear on the partner locator tool making it easy for homebuyers to find you. Log in to your account to download the DOE Zero Energy Home label for use on your certified home; use the partner logo on your website and marketing materials and print your customized brochure to easily share the benefits of DOE Zero Energy Ready homes to your customers. Find more ideas in the logo use guidelines. For additional recognition for builder partners and to be a part of the Tour of Zero, apply to the Housing Innovation Awards.
How do I certify homes? To certify homes, work with a registered third-party verifier to model and inspect your home. Be sure to email your completed DOE Zero Energy Ready Home verification form to receive recognition on the partner locator tool.
How can I enhance my partnership? Become an Innovation Partner and join our new national campaign to educate consumers on the benefits of Zero Energy Ready Homes and invite them to take a Tour of Zero. By including a national campaign message in your consumer facing communications you will:
- Be recognized as an innovation leader.
- Promote consumer awareness of homes across the country that feature high- performance products in their most effective applications.
- Align with DOE to deliver the federal government’s most rigorous energy efficiency program for residential construction.
- Be prominently associated with the movement to "Zero" that provides better places for Americans to live, stronger communities, and a more economically and environmentally resilient nation.