The main purpose of Maryland's Forest Conservation Act is to minimize the loss of Maryland's forest resources during land development by making the identification and protection of forests and other sensitive areas an integral part of the site planning process. The Act requires units of local government with planning and zoning authority to establish and implement local forest conservation programs. These regulations address state approval of and aid to local programs, as well as the state forest conservation program.
Focus Area Tax Credits for businesses in Baltimore City or Prince George’s County enterprise zones include: (1) Ten-year, 80% credit against local real property taxes on a portion of real property improvements. (2) Ten-year, 80% credit against local personal property taxes on new investment in personal property. (3) A one-time $1,500 income tax credit per new employee. For economically disadvantaged employees, the credit is $9,000 per employee over three years.
Counties and towns are required to issue permits for development within the 100-year floodplain. Development is broadly defined to include any man-made change to land, including grading, filling, dredging, extraction, storage, subdivision of land, and the construction or improvement of structures. The Department of the Environment is responsible for developing and administering a program to minimize the risk of flooding in the state, providing assistance to local governments, and implementing relevant regulations.
FirstEnergy (Potomac Edison) offers incentives to Maryland residential customers who are interested in upgrading to more energy efficient appliances and HVAC systems. Rebates are available on washers, refrigerators, freezers, dehumidifiers, CFL light bulbs, Central A/C, heat pumps, and various recycled appliances. Most appliances are only eligible for one rebate per customer per year, however room ac units have a maximum limit of 3 per customer. All efficiency and equipment standards on the Potomac Edison program web site and booklet must be met in order to receive rebates.
FirstEnergy offers several incentives for non-residential and municipal customers to upgrade traffic signals, pedestrian signals, street lights to more efficient fixtures. The Municipal Lighting Incentive Program offers flat-rate incentives per fixture for converting to LED traffic and Pedestrian signals. The Streetlighting program offers prescriptive incentives for retrofitting Mercury Vapor streetlights to more efficient technologies such as high pressure sodium fixtures, LED fixtures and induction fixtures. Such fixtures must have on dusk-to-dawn photo sensors to qualify.
FirstEnergy offers incentives for non-residential customers who construct or renovate buildings which implement a range of energy efficient techniques in construction and operation. Incentives are only available to customers submitting new construction or major renovation projects for LEED-Certification. Major renovation projects include certified building plans for change of use and reconstruction of an existing building or vacant building.
FirstEnergy company Potomac Edison offers rebates to eligible commercial and industrial customers in Maryland service territory who are interested in upgrading to efficient equipment. Rebates are available on lighting, controls, sensors, traffic signals, exit signs, heat pumps, air conditioners, chillers, variable frequency drives, food service equipment and custom measures. Contact Potomac Edison or SAIC for information on maximum allowable incentive payments and other requirements.
Maryland's policy for energy efficiency in state buildings is governed by a series of related policies adopted at different times. One of the earliest policies, adopted in 1985, established Life Cycle Cost Analysis Standards requiring the Department of General Services (DGS) to include an evaluation of the use of renewable energy systems (including active and passive solar and wind systems) and energy efficient strategies (including the effect of insulation and the amount and type of glass and direction of exposure) in creating standards for determining a building's life-cycle costs.
In April 2008 Maryland enacted legislation setting a state goal of achieving a 15% reduction in per capita electricity consumption and 15% reduction in per capita peak demand by 2015, compared to 2007 levels. The legislation requires the Maryland Public Service Commission (PSC) to direct the state’s electric utilities to implement programs designed to achieve a 5% reduction in per capita electricity consumption by 2011 and a 10% reduction by 2015. The remainder of the overall goal of 15% is to be accomplished independently through other means.