You are here

Solar Contractor Licensing

Savings Category 
Solar Water Heat
Program Info
Program Type 
Solar/Wind Contractor Licensing
California Contractors State License Board

The California Contractors State License Board administers contractor licenses. The C-46 Solar Contractor license covers active solar water and space heating systems, solar pool heating systems, and photovoltaic systems. C-46 requirements include four years of experience and passing the business and law exam and the trade exam. Independent license schools offer courses to prepare for license exams.

Other contractor licenses for solar include:
* A. General Engineering
* B. General Building
* C-4. Boiler, Hot Water Heating and Steam Fitting (for solar thermal systems)
* C-10. Electrical (for photovoltaics only)
* C-20. Warm-Air, HVAC (HVAC systems that utilize solar energy)
* C-36. Plumbing (solar thermal systems)
* C-53. Swimming Pool (for solar pool heating)

Complete descriptions of the contractor classifications are available [ here].

The state publishes a [ guide] to becoming a California contractor and a [ reference book] for California license law.