- On November 20, 2012, the Department of Energy announced that it had selected the mPower America team, led by Babcock and Wilcox (B&W) partnered with Tennessee Valley Authority and Bechtel, as a recipient for Government cost-shared funding as part of its Small Modular Reactor Licensing Technical Support program. Negotiations with B&W are complete and the award is imminent. On March 11, 2013, the Department issued a follow-on solicitation open to other companies and manufacturers focused on furthering small modular reactor efficiency, operations and design.
- On January 10, 2013, NRC published the Final Environmental Impact Statement for the Enrico Fermi Unit 3 Combined License application. An advanced Safety Evaluation Report (SER) with no open items is scheduled for completion in mid-2014 with a Final SER following in January 2015. No target date has been set for license issuance.
- Eighteen Combined Construction and Operating License (COL) applications have been docketed, ten of which (totaling 16 nuclear reactors) remain under active NRC review. NRC reviews of five applications were suspended due to utility economic considerations. Review of the Fermi and South Texas Project applications could continue after submittal of additional technical information; in addition, the South Texas Project and Calvert Cliffs applications face foreign ownership issues. The Reference COL (R-COL) application has been submitted for five reactor designs; subsequent COLs (S-COLs) will incorporate the corresponding R-COL application by reference, noting any site-specific departures. Southern Nuclear’s Vogtle Units 3 and 4 and SCE&G’s VC Summer Units 2 and 3 have received COLs.
Reactor Design Certification (DC)
Summary: Two reactor designs that are being considered for future builds are certified and two renewal applications are under NRC review.
- AREVA US-EPR – Submitted December 12, 2007, and docketed February 25, 2008; rulemaking expected in December 2014.
- GE ESBWR – Final Design Approval in March 2011; rulemaking expected 2013.
- Mitsubishi Heavy Industries US-APWR – Submitted December 31, 2007, and docketed February 29, 2008; rulemaking expected in 2016.
- KEPCO APR1400 – Pre-application interactions began in January 2012. Design certification application anticipated in 2013.
- GE ABWR – Certified in 1997. Toshiba and GEH have also separately submitted Design Certification renewal applications that are currently under review.
- Westinghouse AP1000 – Amended design certified on December 30, 2011.
Early Site Permits (ESP)
Summary: Four ESPs issued; one under review:
- PSEG submitted an ESP application for its nuclear plant site in Salem County, New Jersey, on May 25, 2010. The final SER and EIS are expected in mid to late 2014.
- The following ESPs have been issued: Exelon – Clinton (IL), 3/15/07; Entergy – Grand Gulf (MS), 4/5/07; Dominion – North Anna (VA), 11/27/07; Southern – Vogtle site (GA), 08/26/09.
New Plant Construction Progress
Summary: Full nuclear construction has begun for V.C. Summer Units 2 and 3 and Vogtle Units 3 and 4. TVA is proceeding with the completion of the Watts Bar 2.