Abandoned Mine Reclamation, Uravan Mineral Belt, Colorado
LM currently manages the Uranium Leasing Program and continues to administer 31 lease tracts, all located within the Uravan Mineral Belt in southwestern Colorado. Twenty-nine of these lease tracts are actively held under lease and two lease tracts have been placed in inactive status indefinitely. Administrative duties include the ongoing monitoring and oversight of leaseholders’ activities and the annual inspection of these lease tracts to identify and correct safety hazards or other environmental compliance issues.
- The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) has extended the public comment period for the Draft Uranium Leasing Program Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement (ULP PEIS) to July 1, 2013. Please visit the Uranium Leasing Program Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement Information Center to learn more about the ULP.
- DOE has recently determined that, in light of the site-specific information that DOE has gathered as a result of the site-specific agency actions proposed and approved pursuant to the July 2007 Programmatic Environmental Assessment (PEA)/Finding of No Significant Impact, it is now appropriate for DOE to prepare a Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement in order to analyze the reasonably foreseeable environmental impacts, including the site-specific impacts, of a range of alternatives for the management of the ULP for the remainder of the 10-year period that was covered by the July 2007 PEA.
- Uranium Leasing Program Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement Information Center
- U.S. District Court's Order of October 18, 2011, in Colorado Environmental Coalition v. Office of Legacy Management, Civil Action No. 08-cv-01624 (D. Colo.). The Court has issued the injunctive relief described on pages 51-52 of the Order.
- U.S. District Court's Order of February 27, 2012, in Colorado Environmental Coalition v. Office of Legacy Management, Civil Action No. 08-cv-01624 (D. Colo.).
- Uranium Lease Tracts Location Map