The team establishes a national approach to expand purchases of environmentally sound goods and services, including biobased products in accordance with Executive Order (EO) 13423, Strengthening Federal Environmental, Energy, and Transportation Management, and (EO) 13514, Federal Leadership in Environmental, Energy, and Economic Performance, and DOE Order 436.1, Departmental Sustainability, as approved by LM. The team advocates the implementation of a “green” procurement process.
The team has established a process to evaluate the procurement of goods and services for LM using the acquisition of environmentally preferable products and services, including the acquisition of biobased, environmentally preferable, energy-efficient, water-efficient, and recycled-content products, and use of paper of at least 30 percent post-consumer fiber content. This approach will apply when it is life-cycle cost-effective and when the relevant products, utility, and performance are not compromised as a result of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s guidance.
- Maintain a system to monitor and evaluate sustainable acquisition progress.
- Maintain/implement a plan that integrates sustainable acquisition into LM activities.
- Provide employee awareness and training.
- Establish sustainable acquisition baselines for LM sites.
- Propose sustainable acquisition goals/targets.
- Develop metrics to measure and report sustainable acquisition performance.
Sustainable Acquisition Program Guides