The team facilitates the use of renewable energy sources in support of the requirements of Executive Order (EO) 13423, Strengthening Federal Environmental, Energy, and Transportation Management, and (EO) 13514, Federal Leadership in Environmental, Energy, and Economic Performance, and DOE Order 436.1, Departmental Sustainability, as approved by LM. The team advocates that, to the extent feasible, energy consumed comes from new renewable sources and that LM implements renewable energy generation projects.
The team evaluates, makes recommendations, and implements approved practices to increase renewable energy use at LM sites. The team evaluates opportunities to install new cost effective, renewable energy sources that would replace existing power sources. In addition, the expanded use of utility-provided renewable energy programs will be evaluated.
- Maintain/implement a plan that integrates the use of renewable energy into LM activities.
- Prepare a hierarchical index of stated federal and DOE goals for reference, to better understand how LM goals and initiatives support stated DOE and federal goals.
- Catalogue the status of existing LM renewable energy projects.
- Prioritize renewable energy target sites on the basis of completed LM energy baselines and existing LM renewable energy projects.
- Propose renewable energy initiatives.
- Promote awareness and training for LM and contractor employees.
- Report performance.
DOE contributes to the prosperous future of the nation by working to provide energy that is clean, abundant, reliable, and affordable. This includes not only traditional, or nonrenewable energy, but also renewable energy. Renewable energy is energy that is easily replenished, such as wind energy, solar power, hydropower, biomass power, and geothermal power. Nonrenewable energy is energy that cannot be recreated and includes fossil fuels such as coal, oil, and natural gas.
LM is committed to excellence in environmental stewardship and continues to develop and implement innovative uses of renewable energy sources at its many sites across the country. LM’s Renewable Energy Program emphasizes the installation of onsite renewable energy projects and the purchase of green energy credits.