Led by the DOE Office of Indian Energy, in partnership with the Denali Commission, the DOE Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, and the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), the Strategic Technical Assistance Response Team (START) Initiative for Rural Alaska Native Community Energy Planning and Projects will support activities of Alaska Native communities and entities that are focused on community-based energy planning, energy awareness and training programs, and identification and implementation of renewable energy and energy efficiency opportunities.
Through the START, each Alaska Native community will receive technical assistance focused on community-based energy planning, energy awareness and training programs, and clean energy deployment and financing opportunities. Additionally, each village selected this year is eligible for up to $250,000 in financial assistance to deploy a renewable energy or energy efficiency project, supported by the Department’s Tribal Energy grant program.
The following Alaska Native entities were selected for the 2013 START Program and will receive technical assistance over the next six to nine months:
- Native Village of Kongiganak will receive assistance to strengthen existing wind energy infrastructure, efficiency measures, and smart grid technology development.
- Native Village of Koyukuk will receive assistance with upgrades to its energy infrastructure and identification of energy efficiency and biomass opportunities.
- Native Village of Minto will receive assistance to identify energy efficiency, biomass, and solar energy opportunities.
- Native Village of Shishmaref will receive assistance with efforts to build capacity and increase sustainability within the village to mitigate current energy and community relocation challenges.
- Yakutat T’lingit Tribe will receive assistance with prioritizing renewable energy projects, evaluating feasibility studies, fostering community support, and identifying next steps to move projects forward, including biomass, ocean energy, and efficiency measures.