The Office of Independent Enterprise Assessments (EA) is the Department of Energy’s (DOE) autonomous organization responsible for performance of assessments, on behalf of the Secretary and Deputy Secretary, in the areas of nuclear and industrial safety, cyber and physical security, and other critical functions as directed by the Secretary and his Leadership team. The Office is responsible for implementing an expanded investigative capability to conduct Congressionally-mandated enforcement functions in the areas of worker safety and health, nuclear safety, and security. The Office is also responsible for incorporating the lessons learned from inspections, reviews and assessments into safety and security training courses through its management of the National Training Center; and provides an open and effective means of communicating and creating collaborative relationships within and outside the Department through its stakeholder outreach program. The Office serves as an important check-and-balance that meets the Department’s responsibilities as a self-regulating entity and advises the Secretary and Deputy Secretary on all matters related to oversight, enforcement, safety and health training, and outreach activities across the complex.
- Manages the implementation of the DOE enforcement program to promote overall improvement in the Department’s nuclear safety, worker safety and health, and security programs.
- Manages the Independent Oversight Program, providing the Office of the Secretary, DOE and contractor managers, Congress, and other stakeholders with an independent evaluation of the adequacy of DOE policy and the effectiveness of line management performance in safeguards and security; cyber security; emergency management; environment, safety, and health; and other critical functions.
- Oversees the coordination of Congressional hearing activities and information within EA to include hearing schedules, witness preparation, strategies appropriate to the nature of the hearing, and determinations of Congressional concerns and interests in pending legislation or oversight activities.
- Manages the National Training Center, the Department’s designated Center of Excellence for Security and Safety Training and Professional Development, which establishes and provides training, education, and development activities for staff, management, and Departmental leadership in the areas of health, safety and security thereby strengthening the expertise available to meet the current and future mission needs of the Department.
- Oversees the infrastructure of EA in the areas of: (1) Financial Management; (2) Procurement Management; (3) Human Resources; (4) Administrative Services; and (5) Strategic and Program Planning.
- Ensures open and effective means of communicating and creating collaborative relationships within and outside the organization to include DOE and senior management, other federal agencies, labor unions, stakeholders, field offices, Departmental contractors, and other public and private sector entities.
- Provides analysis and evaluation of the performance EA in meeting its missions and provides analysis of major Departmental and mission risks relating to safety and security activities and functions.
The Office of Resources, Communications and Congressional Affairs supports the infrastructure of the Office of Independent Enterprise Assessments (EA) by overseeing the coordination of Congressional hearing activities and information within EA to include hearing schedules, witness preparation, strategies appropriate to the nature of the hearing, and determinations of Congressional concerns and interests in pending legislation or oversight activities.
The Office of Risk Analysis and Program Evaluation provides analysis and evaluation of the performance of the Office of Independent Enterprise Assessments (IEA) in meeting its missions of providing Departmental independent assessments, enforcement and training including the impact of the Office activities on the ability of the Department to meet its missions.