This organization supports the program objectives and missions of all Departmental components by:
- Developing Department-level human capital management (HCM) and training/development policies,
- Developing human capital management strategies that provide the direction and structure for Departmental HCM programs,
- Developing HCM legislative proposals;
- Supplying HCM policy advice and guidance within the Department; and
- Developing and implementing innovative HCM business solutions relating to corporate recruiting, organizational and workforce development, workforce and succession planning, talent capacity, diversity outreach, and technology innovations.
Strategic directions are influenced by an analysis of budget and workforce projections and plans, congressional mandates, administration goals, Departmental priorities and mission needs. Human capital management strategies, policy, programs and plans are developed and assessed for overall success and compliance with merit system principals, civil service laws and regulations, and Departmental HCM directives. This office is the primary representative body for the Department when coordinating with the Office of Personnel Management, the Office of Management and Budget, the General Accounting Office, and other Federal and non-Federal customers and organizations in connection with human resources and human capital management areas of responsibility.
- Develop and revise the agency HCM Strategic Plan in support of the overall Departmental Strategic Plan.
- Develop and revise Departmental HCM directives and programs in all HC areas except training and Executive Resources based on laws, regulations, and Office of Personnel Management (OPM) guidance; provide advice and assistance on the application of those laws, regulations, and directives.
- Conduct internal reviews of HCM programs.
- Administer the Federal employee substance abuse testing program.
- Develop demographic and trend analyses in support of corporate workforce planning and in response to requests from within the Department and from external oversight agencies.
- Analyze and evaluate workforce plans, employment trends, budget development and implementation, Departmental studies, and human capital assessment systems; develop staffing targets and track staffing management throughout the Department to identify needs for new or changing policies, programs, and strategies; review and coordinate earlyout and buyout plans with external approving agencies.
- Provide advice and staff assistance on major corporate restructuring proposals; review proposed organization changes and advise senior Departmental management regarding organizational issues and impacts; maintain Departmental organization charts and mission and function statements.
- Review and comment on draft testimony for Congressional hearings related to assigned HCM areas.