This week, Elizabeth shared her retail adventures in the clearance section of a store where she picked up some LED light strings at bargain prices. Whether you use them for holidays or every day just because they're irresistibly cheerful, light strings are an excellent example of LED products.
LED holiday lights have many advantages over ordinary incandescent lights:
- Running LED holiday lights on one 6-foot tree for 12 hours per day for 40 days can save 90% or more energy when compared to traditional incandescent holiday lights
- They last longer; they have an operational life span of roughly 20,000 hours, enough to last for 40 holiday seasons
- They're cooler than incandescent bulbs, reducing the risk of fire and personal injury
- They're more durable than incandescent bulbs, with lamps typically made out of solid plastic rather than glass
- Because they use less power, it is safer to connect multiple strings of LED holiday light sets end-to-end without overloading the wall socket.
Prices vary, but if you can find them on the clearance aisle of your local retailer you may as well take advantage of the extra savings!
How about you? Have you found any energy-efficient bargains lately?
E-mail your responses to the Energy Saver team at firstname.lastname@example.org.