The Risk Assessment Technical Experts Working Group (RWG) is established to assist DOE in the appropriate and effective use of quantitative risk assessment in nuclear safety related activities. The activities of the group will help DOE ensure that risk assessments supporting nuclear safety decisions are conducted in a consistent manner, of appropriate quality, properly tailored to the needs of the decisions they are intended to support and documented. The RWG will also assist DOE in assessing the adequacy of available risk assessment tools and guidance supporting nuclear safety at its nuclear facilities.
PURPOSE: To support effective and appropriate utilization of risk assessment tools in nuclear safety applications at defense nuclear facilities.
OBJECTIVES: The Risk Assessment Technical Expert Working Group (RWG) is established to assist the Department of Energy (DOE) with the appropriate and effective use of quantitative risk assessment in nuclear safety-related activities. The activities of the group will help DOE make sure that risk assessments supporting nuclear safety decisions are: conducted in a consistent manner; of appropriate quality; properly documented; and properly tailored to the needs of the decisions they are intended to support. The RWG will also assist DOE in assessing the adequacy of available tools and guidance necessary to support nuclear safety at its nuclear facilities. Activities that the RWG will support include:
- Responding to questions on proper application of risk assessment tools.
- As requested by field or program offices, perform formal or informal peer reviews of risk assessments.
- Supporting development of training on use of risk assessment tools.
- Supporting DOE's study of nuclear safety application of risk at DOE Sites and Facility.
- Evaluating results of DOE study of risk assessment and recommend follow on actions.
- Supporting development of risk assessment Policy, Requirement, Guidance, or Standards as appropriate.
- Peer Review of Waste Treatment Plant QRA.
- Support NTC Development of Risk Management Training Course.
- Support study of other Federal agencies' and DOE's use and control of quantitative risk assessment in safety decision-making.
Steering Committee Members
Organization: Environmental Management | Phone: 202-586-0975 | Email: James.Hutton@em.doe.gov
Organization: Chief of Nuclear Security | Phone: 301-903-4218 | Email: Chip.Lagdon@hq.doe.gov
Organization: Chief of Defense Nuclear Safety | Phone: 202-586-8216 | Email: Don.Nichols@nnsa.doe.gov
Organization: Health, Safety and Security | Phone: 301-903-1408 | Email: James.O'Brien@hq.doe.gov
Organization: Science | Phone: 509-375-2320 | Email: Carol.Sohn@science.doe.gov
Organization: Nuclear Energy | Phone: 208-526-0193 | Email: email@example.com
Organization: National Nuclear Security Administration | Phone: 202-586-9554 | Email: Sharon.Steele@nnsa.doe.gov