The Office of Headquarters Security Operations strengthens national security by protecting personnel, facilities, property, classified information, and sensitive unclassified information for DOE Headquarters facilities in the National Capital Area under normal and abnormal (i.e., emergency) conditions; managing access authorization functions for Headquarters; ensuring that executives and dignitaries are fully protected, and supporting efforts to ensure the continuity of government in all circumstances as mandated by Presidential Decision Directive. The Office is responsible for the principal personnel security information processing activities of the Department and personnel security administrative review process.
- Provides support, assistance and advice to the Associate Under Secretary regarding security operations, particularly as they relate to those programs under the purview of AU.
- Directs Headquarters level emergency response activities associated with operational emergencies, energy emergencies and emergency assistance situations. Directs investigations of alleged or suspected acts against or occurring at Headquarters impacting national security, personnel security, compromise of classified or sensitive information, violations of the Atomic Energy Act, federal laws, national security policies and Executive Orders.
- Provides management oversight and direction to the Headquarters security inquiry and investigations program.
- Conducts biennial reviews of vulnerability assessments at FORS and GTN facilities to determine needed security upgrades, establish priorities for funding, program emphasis, and reallocation of personnel as required.
- Represents DOE at Interagency level conferences and committees as it pertains to Headquarters security related issues.
- Establishes and maintains liaison with intelligence offices to facilitate coordinating the overall continuity activities relating to security.
- Manages the Headquarter Security Officer (HSO) program ensuring that Headquarters Program Elements comply with security requirements contained in the Headquarters Facilities Master Security Plan (HQFMSP).
- Develops and maintains the HQFMSP that provides DOE security policy implementation guidance for Headquarters personnel.
- Provides direct security support to the Office of the Secretary, and Deputy Secretary, and the direct Offices of the Under Secretary for Science and Energy and the Under Secretary for Management and Performance, serving as their HSO.
- Manages the DOE Headquarters Technical Surveillance Countermeasures (TSCM) Program.
- Develops technical policy for the DOE TSCM program that is promulgated by the Office of Security Policy.
- Administers the personnel security program for DOE Headquarters, to include access authorization and reinvestigation processing.
- Administers classified visit processing for DOE Headquarters.
- Manages the administrative review process under Title 10, Code of Federal Regulations Part 710 for Headquarters personnel.
- Performs Personal Identity Verification (PIV) functions at DOE Headquarters as required by Homeland Security Presidential Directive # 12 (HSPD-12).
- Implements a Performance Assurance Program for DOE Headquarters security operations.
- Administers the Foreign Ownership Control or Influence (FOCI) program for Headquarters.
- Administers the Security education and Awareness Program for Headquarters.