Solid-state lighting (SSL) technology has the potential to reduce U.S. lighting energy usage by nearly one half and contribute significantly to our nation's climate change solutions.
The Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP) outdoor SSL initiative offers a unique opportunity for the federal sector to lead large-scale implementation efforts focused on SSL applications ripe for near-term implementation through a process that recognizes the technology’s potential and challenges.
Federal sites can take advantage of outdoor SSL resources tailored to their needs and join the Lighting Energy Efficiency in Parking (LEEP) Campaign, which offers free technical assistance and achievement recognition.
Phase 1 Federal LEEP Campaign Award Winner Case Studies:
- Marine Corps Base Quantico Achieves 85% Savings in Parking Lighting
- IRS Parking Facility Lighting Retrofit Reduces Annual Energy Use by 76%
Phase 2 LEEP Campaign Award Winners:
- Army Reserve 63d Regional Support Command: Highest Percentage Savings in a Retrofit at a Single Parking Lot
- General Services Administration Northwest Arctic Region: Exemplary Federal Parking Facility
- Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base: Highest Percentage Savings in a Retrofit at a Single Parking Lot
See the full list of award winners and highlights.
Outdoor Solid State Lighting Resources
Many helpful resources about outdoor SSL are available.
- LEEP Campaign for Federal Users
- Guide to FEMP-Designated Parking Structure Lighting
- Guide to FEMP-Designated Parking Lot Lighting
- FEMP Acquisition Guidance for Lighting Products (Powered by LED Lighting Facts)
- FEMP Outdoor Solid-State Lighting Initiative: Resources for Outdoor SSL Applications
- LED Provides Effective and Efficient Parking Area Lighting at the NAVFAC Engineering Service Center
- Effective White Light Options for Parking Area Lighting
- High-Efficiency Parking Lighting Strategies for Federal Agencies Webinar
- Solid-State Lighting Basics
- LED Frequently Asked Questions
- Lifetime and Reliability
- LED Lighting Facts: Option Label Metrics
- Light at Night and Human Health
- Exterior Lighting for Energy Savings, Security, and Safety
- Adoption of LEDs in Common Lighting Applications
- Municipal Solid State Street Lighting Consortium
- CALiPER Summary Reports
- Solid-State Lighting Webcasts
Lighting Energy Efficiency in Parking Campaign: DOE program offers a host of resources and free technical assistance to facility owners interested in implementing highly energy-efficient lighting solutions in their parking facilities.
Better Buildings Alliance: DOE initiative driven and managed by key industry partners with a goal of transforming the energy efficiency of commercial buildings. This site offers lighting performance specifications, fact sheets, and guides:
LED Lighting Facts: DOE program showcases LED products for general illumination from manufacturers who commit to testing products and reporting performance results according to industry standards.
DesignLights Consortium: Collaboration of utility companies and regional energy-efficiency organizations, which includes established performance criteria and a qualified products list of high-performance SSL products.
Next Generation Luminaires: Competition recognizes excellence in the design of energy-efficient LED commercial lighting luminaries.