The Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP) worked with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to develop 14 water efficiency best management practices (BMPs) to help agencies increase water efficiency and meet federal requirements. Each BMP provides operations and maintenance improvements and retrofit and replacement options. Use these best management practices to glean project ideas for reducing water use and increasing water efficiency at your agency.
- Water Management Planning
- Information and Education Programs
- Distribution System Audits, Leak Detection, and Repair
- Water-Efficient Landscaping
- Water-Efficient Irrigation
- Toilets and Urinals
- Faucets and Showerheads
- Steam Boiler Systems
- Single-Pass Cooling Equipment
- Cooling Tower Management
- Commercial Kitchen Equipment
- Laboratory and Medical Equipment
- Other Water-Intensive Processes
- Alternative Water Sources
For additional BMPs, see EPA's WaterSense at Work online booklet.
What Success Looks Like
Read case studies about agencies that have successfully implemented water-reduction technologies and measures.