Below is information about the student activity/lesson plan from your search.
Energy Efficiency and Conservation
Students will work in small groups to apply knowledge of renewable energy to solve a problem. They will formulate a plan to power a summer camp, considering electrical power, hot water, appliances, costs, and environmental and social impacts. Students must present their plans to a mock city council and justify their choices based on data provided by the teacher.
Math, Social Studies, Communications
2-3 class periods
Handouts included; calculators, reference materials on energy sources.
National Standards: 9-12
- SEC-E: 1.a. Identify a problem or design an opportunity.
- SEC-E: 1.b. Propose designs and choose between alternative solutions.
- SEC-E: 1.d. Evaluate the solution and its consequences.
- SEC-E: 2.c. Creativity, imagination, and a good knowledge base are required in science and engineering.
- SEC-F: 3.a. Human populations use resources in the environment to maintain and improve their existence.