California-based Heliotrope is one of many small businesses that have been supported by the Energy Department’s SBIR’s program. | Heliotrope Technologies
The federal government supports research at thousands of small innovative businesses through the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Technology Transfer (STTR) programs. SBIR/STTR is a competitive program that links government agencies' needs and missions with funding for the development and commercialization of new ideas and innovative research by diverse small business.
Learn more ►
Fiscal Year 2015 Topics
- Energy Efficient Solid-State Lighting Luminaires, Products, and Systems
- Integrated Storage and Distributed Generation for Buildings
Funding Opportunity Opens: November 24, 2014
Letters of Intent Due: December 15, 2014
Full Applications Due: February 3, 2015
Current SBIR Projects
HVAC, Water Heating, and Appliances
- Building Integrated Heat and Moisture Exchange - Architectural Applications
- Advanced Hybrid Water Heater Using Electrochemical Compressor - Xergy
- Heat Pump Water Heater Using Solid-State Energy Converters - Sheetak
Windows & Envelope
- Low Cost Nanostructured Smart Window Coatings - Heliotrope Technologies
- Automated Process for the Fabrication of Highly Customized Thermally Insulated Cladding Systems - Poly-Cel, Inc.
- Minimizing User Burden in Building Energy Analysis - ThermoAnalytics, Inc.
- Integrated Energy Analysis and Validation Environment - EnergyAnalytics
- Commercial-Grade, Scalable Support and Training Services Platform - Big Ladder Software
Lighting & Daylighting
- Printed Electronic Film Construction for SSL - Innotec, Corp.
- Low-Cost, High Efficiency Integration of Solid-State Lighting and Building Controls - VoltServer, Inc.
- Daylighting Digital Dimmer - MoJo Labs Inc
- OLED Lighting Panel with Directional Output and High Efficiency - LEDWorks LLC
- High Efficiency Solar Cogeneration With TPV & Fiber-Optic Daylighting - Creative Light Source, Inc.
- Integrating Energy Efficient Solid-state Lighting with Advanced Sensors, Controls and Connectivity
- Advanced Manufacturing Processes to Reduce Soft Costs of Energy-Efficient Building Envelope Technologies for Retrofitting Existing Buildings
- Integrating Advanced Whole-building Energy Simulation into End-user Workflows and Tools
- Energy Conservation Applications for Solid-State Lighting (especially OLEDs)
- Low-Cost Solar Cogeneration Systems for Residential and Commercial Buildings Applications
Fiscal Year 2012
- Solid State Lighting (SSL) Devices and Packages
- Cold Climate Air Source Heat Pumps
- High COP Electric Water Heater
- GSHP Loop Cost Reduction
- Fast Payback Solar Water Heaters
- Building Envelope Materials
- Building Controls
- Commercial Building Power Meters