The Building Technologies Office (BTO) carries out technology research, development, and deployment through an ongoing process of planning and analysis, implementation, and review. This Web page includes links to documents that guide, support, and document the program management process and associated results and public benefits.
- Better Buildings, Brighter Future: an overview of BTO activities.
- Program Presentation: outlines the program's priorities and goals for improving the energy efficiency of buildings.
- Building Energy Codes Overview
- Energy Efficiency Trends in Residential and Commercial Buildings report: provides an overview of trends in the construction industry, including profiles of buildings and the resulting impacts on energy consumption.
- Project Reports: Solid-State Lighting: contains links to project reports summarizing the solid-state lighting projects funded by DOE
Includes budgets, plans, and analysis that set the direction of program priorities and activities.
Multiyear Program Plans
- The Building Technologies Program Multi-Year Work Plan FY11-FY15 sets forth the goals and structure for all BTO activities.
- The Building Regulatory Programs Multi-Year Program Plan FY11-FY15 sets forth goals and activities specifically to advance energy efficient design and construction codes for new and upgraded residential and commercial buildings.
Find more information about how the program controls, implements, and adjusts its plans and manages its activities.
- Solid-State Lighting Technical Reports
- Assessment of the Energy Impacts of Outside Air in the Commercial Sector
- Challenges and Opportunities to Achieve 50% Energy Savings in Homes
Deployment and Diffusion
- Better Buildings Challenge Overview
- Better Buildings Neighborhood Program
- High Performance Roof top Unit Challenge
- ENERGY STAR®
- U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon
- Guiding Market Introduction of High-Performance SSL Products
- Home Energy Score
Codes, Standards, and Regulations
- Building Energy Codes, including Building Energy Codes Software and Tools
- Appliances and Commercial Equipment Standards, including Appliances and Commercial Equipment Standards Schedule Setting
- Standards Development for Solid-State Lighting
Education and Workforce Development
- Building Energy Codes University
- Better Buildings Alliance Resources
- Building America Best Practices Series
- Solid-State Lighting Basics
- Solid-State Lighting Webcasts
- Guidelines for Home Energy Professionals
- Commercial Building Workforce Development and Training
Competitive Solicitations and Grants
Learn about the Program's technological, commercial, and other outputs and outcomes.
Research & Development
- Energy Savings Potential RD&D Opportunities for Non-Vapor-Compression HVAC Technologies, March 2014
- Market Assessment and Commercialization Strategy for the Radial Sandia Cooler, February 2014
- Research & Development Needs for Building-Integrated Solar Technologies, January 2014
- Energy Savings Potential and Opportunities for Motors, December 2013
- Energy Savings from Window Attachments, October 2013
- Residential Window and Window Coverings: A Detailed View of the Installed Base and User Behavior, September 2013
- Buildings R&D Breakthroughs: Technologies and Products Supported by the Building Technologies Office, April 2012
- Energy Saving Success Stories
- Building America Case Studies
- High-Performance Buildings Research Case Studies
- Better Buildings Neighborhood Case Studies
Peer Reviews and Process Assessments
- Appliances and Commercial Equipment Standards Peer Review
- 2013 DOE Building Technologies Office Program Peer Review
- Dynamic Insulation – Fire-Resistive Phase Change Material Wins R&D 100 Award
- Solid-State Lighting — Cantilever Epitaxy Process Wins R&D 100 Award
- P.L. 94-163, "Energy Policy and Conservation Act" (EPCA) (1975)
- P.L. 94-385, "Energy Conservation and Production Act" (ECPA) (1976)
- P.L. 95-91, "Department of Energy Organization Act" (1977)
- P.L. 95-618, "Energy Tax Act" (1978)
- P.L. 95-619, "National Energy Supply Policy Act" (NECPA) (1978)
- P.L. 95-620, "Power Plant and Industrial Fuel Use Act" (1978)
- P.L. 96-294, "Energy Security Act" (1980)
- P.L. 100-12, "National Appliance Energy Supply Act" (1987)
- P.L. 100-357, "National Appliance Energy Supply Amendments" (1988)
- P.L. 100-615, "Federal Energy Management Improvement Act" (1988)
- P.L. 102-486, "Energy Policy Act" (1992)
- P.L. 109-58, "Energy Policy Act of 2005" (2005)
- P.L. 110-140, "Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007" (2007)