The mission of Technology-to-Market (Tech-to-Market or T2M) is to identify and develop strategies to overcome key barriers to the development and success of commercial enterprises built around the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy's (EERE's) technologies and initiatives. Tech-to-Market works to attract additional private sector investment in clean energy development, to accelerate the movement of innovative technologies to market, to ensure there is a trained workforce ready to install and maintain EERE technologies, and to apply advanced information and visualization technologies that increase access and understanding of our resources and activities. Each Tech-to-Market initiative plays an important role as a technology moves from being an idea to being commonly used in daily life.
Why it Matters
- We encourage the development and growth of business opportunities in clean energy technologies, including through support for incubation clusters and similar mechanisms to advance the clean energy economy
- We support commercialization of innovative technologies developed both at national labs and universities by identifying mechanisms to make intellectual property widely available.
- We support innovation and entrepreneurship in universities through student competitions and other initiatives to generate new ideas and business proposals.
- We support community-based deployment of energy efficiency and renewable energy systems, focusing on areas with high energy costs and heavy dependence on fossil fuels.
- We provide guidance to technology programs on the Small Business Innovation Research/Small Business Technology Transfer (SBIR/STTR) Program, both to comply with legal obligations, and as part of a coordinated small business development strategy.
- We drive the development of the workforce needed for the successful deployment of energy efficiency and renewable energy technologies through strategies on workforce development, education, and training common to all of EERE's programs and offices.
- We expedite market acceptance, transparency, and efficient delivery of EERE's content to external stakeholders through mobile applications, and interactive software.
- We analyze high-potential financing models and determine barriers to widespread adoption that federal policies can address. We aim to do this by convening investment and business sectors to develop recommendations for government financing incentives to deploy innovative technologies.