The Office of Nuclear Safety Enforcement implements the Department’s nuclear safety enforcement program in accordance with 10 CFR 820 as authorized by the Atomic Energy Act.
• Implements a nuclear safety enforcement program that includes processes and incentives for contractors to promptly identify, report, and correct nuclear safety issues and noncompliances.
• Investigates potential violations of enforceable requirements, including certain nuclear safety concerns raised by workers.
• Evaluates the effectiveness of contractor programs in meeting DOE requirements in the areas of nuclear safety management, quality assurance, and occupational radiation protection, and analyzes contractor noncompliance and performance information to determine whether conditions warrant enforcement discretion by DOE.
• Resolves, through enforcement actions and other enforcement mechanisms, significant contractor violations of DOE nuclear safety requirements that do not warrant enforcement discretion.
• Makes recommendations to the NNSA Administrator for resolving significant NNSA contractor violations of DOE nuclear safety requirements through enforcement mechanisms.
• Works closely with DOE field and program elements and the Office of the Associate Under Secretary for Environment, Health, Safety and Security to implement the DOE nuclear safety enforcement program.
• Coordinates with the DOE Office of General Counsel to ensure the legal sufficiency of enforcement case outcome documents.
• Conducts and participates in various activities that facilitate improved contractor performance and compliance assurance, including conducting Regulatory Assistance Reviews, enforcement program training, and regular communication with the Energy Facility Contractors Group (EFCOG) Enforcement Coordination Working Group.