To maximize effectiveness, broaden perspectives and potential, and prepare for challenges on the horizon, Federal agencies should invest in and emphasize career development. In 2011, the President’s Management Council (PMC) and the Chief Human Capital Officers (CHCO) Council launched the PMC Interagency Rotation Program to bolster cross-agency exposure for high-potential GS 13-15s. This cost-efficient program provides each participant an interagency rotation assignment to help develop or enhance specific leadership competencies identified by both the participant and his/her home supervisor. These competencies align with the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs), and are outlined in the participant’s Individual Development Plan (IDP).
The PMC Interagency Rotation Program enables emerging Federal leaders to expand their leadership competencies, broaden their organizational experiences, and foster networks they can leverage in the future. Specifically, the program aims to:
• Deliver a collaborative, cross-agency program to reduce barriers to interagency mobility.
• Enhance PMC participants’ leadership competencies through a meaningful rotational assignment and through other developmental opportunities outside of their current agencies.
• Expand PMC participants’ interagency experience either within or outside their current area of expertise.
• Offer engaging and insightful interagency cohort events that allow each participant to network and interact with other program participants, Federal employees, and Senior Executives.
Program Process and Components
• Program provides six-month developmental experience (April-September/October-March).
• Agencies identify rotational assignments and participants.
• The Project Team matches participants to rotational assignments with input from the participant and host supervisor.
• The Project Team arranges monthly cohort meetings that provide learning and networking opportunities.
• General Services Administration
• Homeland Security
• Office of Management and Budget
• Office of Personnel Management
• Veterans Affairs
• Chief Human Capital Officers (CHCO) Council
• Performance Improvement Council (PIC)
• National Security Professional Development Program