Overview: The formation of public policy is an increasingly critical responsibility for leaders in government, yet few executive have firsthand experience of the complex federal policy- making process. The Legis Congressional Fellowship provides an exceptional public policy learning experience for government managers who seek insight into how congress works and how public policy is made. By working for members of congress in their offices and on congressional committees, Fellows gain practical insights into congressional decision-making while broadening their knowledge about the American political process
Target Audience: Applicants must have a significant interest in legislative policy and be able to work independently. Government candidates must have a minimum grade level of GS-13 and must be nominated by their immediate agency training office.
• 7-month fellowship: $4,525
• 12-month fellowship: $6,135
• Travel: The participant’s organization will also be responsible for travel and per diem costs if the selectee is outside the Washington, D.C. area.
Application dates: Orientation is mandatory for all fellows and will be held January 5-14th, 2015
• Half year: January 5–July 31, 2015; application due October 22, 2014 – CHRIS 001568 - 0015
• Full year: January 5–December 18, 2015; application due October 22, 2014 CHRIS 001568 - 0014
Program Components: Spend seven or twelve months working in the office of a member of Congress or serving on the staff of a congressional committee. Learn the policymaking process from the inside: draft legislation, brief congressional representatives, serve as a constituent liaison, and plan and participate in committee hearings. An intensive two-week orientation at Brookings will prepare you for your congressional assignment. Program participants will develop new leadership capabilities and political acumen in addition to congressional expertise. Your understanding of the legislative world will help you build a strategic and competitive advantage when you return to your agency or company.
• Completed Legis application form
• Detailed resume
• Supervisor’s recommendation describing your executive potential, need for this training and prospects for success as a congressional staff member
• Statement describing the relevance of training to career goals and how it will be used by your agency
• Candidates are required a completed, approved and signed training form including a valid billing address and purchase order number (SF182, DD1556, HHS350 or other approved training form)
Please email a copy of completed application package to Johnny Mcchriston. Alternately, you may contact him at 301-903-9862 to address any questions.
NNSA employees should initially contact Mr. Anthony M. Torres, POC for NNSA Leadership Development Programs, at 505-845-5600, to confirm whether this program is NNSA sponsored.