Our Minority Educational Institution Student Partnership Program (MEISPP) offers talented undergraduate and graduate students summer internship positions with the Department of Energy and our National Laboratories, with the goal of reaching underrepresented students in STEM fields, such as women and girls.
Positions involve scientific research or a focus on policy, business, and government relations. All internships include paid lodging, round trip airfare, and monetary compensation.
Students receive intensive assignments to jumpstart their careers and develop their potential for future opportunities within the federal government. High School students serve for eight weeks, and College/Graduate students serve for ten weeks. Students work side-by-side with leading scientists, engineers, and other top professionals to develop career skills and enhance leadership capabilities.
The application process is now CLOSED. However, please check back in January when the application process re-opens.
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Have earned at least 24 semester hours (39 quarter credit hours)
- Must be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate or graduate/professional student in an accredited institution of higher education in the Fall
- Maintain an overall GPA of 2.8 or above on a 4.0 scale
- Applicants must demonstrate the following:
- Leadership potential
- Commitment to public service
- Interest in energy-related issues
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Please note that the selection of interns is not premised upon racial or gender factors or preference, nor are individuals penalized based upon racial or gender factors. Students from all accredited institutions of higher education can apply and will be considered.
Each participating office within the Department selects its own Interns based on the alignment of office/project needs and applicant qualifications, and you're encouraged to accurately reflect your interests and abilities on the MEISPP application.
We require the following documents to apply for the MEISPP internship:
- Official transcript(s)
- Two letters of recommendation
Applications will not be considered unless all required documents have been received by the deadline.
- March 31: Deadline for application submission to include ALL supporting documents
- April - May: All applicants will be notified of their status (selected or rejected) and those selected will receive official offer letter, HR documents and welcome package
- May 27 - August 2: College and Graduate interns serve at their assigned placement at the Department of Energy
- June 23 - August 22: High School interns serve at their assigned placement at the Department of Energy
To learn more about the application process, visit: http://www.doemeispp.org.