Prior to being issued a Digital Identity candidates must be identity proofed during a face-to-face meeting with a Trusted Agent of the DOE PKI. If you need assistance finding a DOE Trusted Agent please contact the EITS Service Desk at EITSServiceDesk@hq.doe.gov.
When you appear in-person to meet with the DOE Trusted Agent you must bring:
- The printed copy of the Subscriber Agreement form. You should complete the portion of the form that is surrounded by the blue box.
- Your Federal ID Badge. This will be used to positively identify you. If you do not have a Federal ID Badge you must bring the following:
- One valid government-issued picture ID. A drivers license for example.
- One other form of ID. This does not have to be a picture ID, but your name must be in type (i.e. not hand written).
The DOE Trusted Agent will then:
- Inspect your Federal ID Badge and note the name and number printed on the badge.
- Add the name and number printed on the badge to your form along with the date, the DOE Trusted Agent’s name, and their signature.
- Fax the completed Subscriber Agreement form to the PKI Support Team at 301-903-2172. This fax machine is in a limited access area and no cover sheet is required.
A common problem surrounding the identity proofing of a Subscriber Candidate is that the individual’s physical location may be geographically distant from the physical location of a Trusted Agent of the DOE PKI. This section will outline how the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) will allow Notary Publics to act as de facto Trusted Agents for identity proofing purposes.
The Subscriber Candidate will bring a printed copy of the Subscriber Agreement form to the Notary Public. The Subscriber Candidate will complete their designated portions of the Subscriber Agreement form.
The Notary Public will perform the following:
- Complete the portions of the Subscriber Agreement form that are usually reserved for the Trusted Agent of the DOE PKI. At a minimum these will include:
- A location for the Notary Public to record the type(s) of ID(s) presented, their corresponding unique ID number(s), and the person’s name(s) as it appears on the ID(s).
- A location for the Notary Public to print their full name.
- A location for the Notary Public to sign their name with a handwritten signature.
- A location for the Notary Public to indicate the date of their signature.
- A location for the Notary Public to affix an impression of their seal.
The Subscriber Candidate will then:
- Fax a copy of the Subscriber Agreement form to DOE HQ PKI Support.
- Mail the original Subscriber Agreement form [that includes the impression of the Notary Public’s seal] to DOE HQ PKI Support.