Cyber Distinguished Speaker Series: Background Information
The Cyber Distinguished Speaker Series kicked off in November, 2015, in conjunction with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s National Cybersecurity Awareness Month, and provides a venue to share information on cyber topics, promote best practices from the public and private sectors, and engage with world-renowned cyber experts from the U.S. Government, industry, and academia on advanced.
Sponsored by the U.S Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO), the ultimate goal is to raise awareness within the diverse cyber community; provide a structure for the government and private sector to (cost-effectively) assess vulnerabilities; and propose readily available resources to help the government, and its stakeholders, to further reduce risks.
Because cybersecurity is quickly growing and always evolving, this series assures that the information presented is fresh, relevant, and derived from a variety of perspectives.
Previous speakers include:
- John MacWilliams, Associate Deputy Secretary (Department of Energy)
- Michael Johnson, Chief Information Officer (Department of Energy)
- Dr. Winfried Hensinger, Director of the Sussex Centre for Quantum Technologies (University of Sussex)
- Dr. Gregg Shannon, Assistant Director for Cyber Security Strategy (White House’s Office of Science and Technology Policy)
- Adrian Cockcroft, Technology Fellow (Battery Ventures L.P)
- Evan Wolff, Privacy & Cybersecurity Lead and Partner (Crowell & Moring)
- Mossadeq Zia, DevOps Engineer (18F)
- Marissa Newhall, Director of Digital Strategy and Communications (Department of Energy)
- Alla Seiffert, Consulting Acquisitions Team (18F)
- Alison Rowland, Lead Back-End Engineer (CDS)
- Gabriel Ramirez, Back-end Developer (18F)
- Eric Sporre, Deputy Assistant Director of the Cyber Operations Branch (Federal Bureau of Investigation)
- Dr. Christine Pommerening, Associate Research Professor (George Mason University)
- Dr. Gloria Washington, Assistant Cybersecurity and Computer Science Professor (Howard University)
- Dr. Jane LeClair, Chief Operating Officer of the National Cybersecurity Institute (Excelsior College)
- Cathy Hubbs, Head of Information Security Programs (American University)
The DOE encourages participation from all cybersecurity and information resource professionals; including members of DOE’s workforce, as well as staffers and senior leadership from across the federal government, private industry, and academia.
This series can be accessed live from your desktop via the following link: http://www.energy.gov/live