WASHINGTON – U.S. Department of Energy will host the SunShot Initiative Summit and Technology Forum. The SunShot Initiative seeks to achieve grid-parity solar energy within the decade. Through the Grand Challenge series, the Energy Department is launching a broad-based effort to address the scientific, technological, and market barriers to achieving breakthroughs in national energy challenges. The Department is convening the best and brightest minds across government, industry, and academia to strengthen U.S. leadership in the global clean energy race, increase American economic prosperity, and capture the new markets and jobs of the 21st century.
The SunShot Summit and Technology Forum will include:
- Plenary sessions featuring Energy Secretary Steven Chu and other industry leaders
- Group discussions focusing on the future priorities and transformational ideas needed to achieve the SunShot goal of cost-competitive solar by the end of the decade
- A technology forum featuring exhibits from a wide range of SunShot partners and grant recipients, as well as Department of Energy National Laboratories.
The full agenda is available HERE.
Ahead of the SunShot Initiative Summit, Energy.gov is running a special series this week, sharing personal success stories from across America’s growing solar workforce – from finance experts, to scientists, to engineers. According to the Solar Foundation’s National Solar Jobs Census 2011, more than 100,000 Americans are now employed in the solar industry. Yesterday, kicking-off this series, Energy.gov featured a solar industry slideshow, giving a look into the daily lives of the U.S. solar community at large.
To arrange on-the-record or background interviews with Department of Energy SunShot experts ahead of the Summit, please contact Public Affairs at 202.586.4940, or email Niketa.Kumar@HQ.DOE.GOV
WHAT: SunShot Initiative Summit and Technology Forum
- Steven Chu, U.S. Secretary of Energy
- Diana DeGette, U.S. House of Representatives, 1st District of Colorado
- Ed Perlmutter, U.S. House of Representatives, 7th District of Colorado
- Bill Ritter, Former Governor of Colorado
- David Danielson, U.S. Assistant Secretary of Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy
- Arun Majumdar, Director of the Office of Advanced Research Projects Agency – Energy (ARPA-E)
- Dan Arvizu, Director, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Dan Armbrust, President and CEO, SEMATECH
- Gordon Brinser, President, Solar World Industries America
- Mark Pinto, Executive Vice President of Energy and Environmental Solutions, Applied Materials
- Richard Swanson, President Emeritus, SunPower
- John Woolard, President and CEO, BrightSource Energy
- Harry Atwater, Howard Hughes Professor, California Institute of Technology
WHEN: June 13-14, 2012
WHERE: Hyatt Regency 650 15th Street Denver, CO 80202
PRESS REGISTRATION: http://goo.gl/fNPJm