Leaders recognized for energy efficiency efforts
WASHINGTON, DC - The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) tonight will honor 85 businesses, groups and government entities for their outstanding commitment to the ENERGY STAR® program. Organizations recognized have achieved major energy savings and/or are helping consumers save money while reducing energy needs and carbon emissions. The ENERGY STAR® Awards Ceremony will be held this evening, at the Omni Shoreham Hotel in Washington, DC.
"Increasing energy efficiency is a national priority and the Energy Star® program helps provide consumers with real and significant energy-savings options," Secretary of Energy, Samuel W. Bodman said. "We're proud of our Energy Star® partners and we look forward to more of the private sector joining in its continued success."
Over the past year, ENERGY STAR®, with industry partners, it has helped consumers make smart energy choices, saving more than $14 billion on their electric bills; equal to the amount of energy used by 70 power plants and displacing greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to more than 25 million vehicles. While saving energy, ENERGY STAR® products maintain or surpass quality standards and offer improved features and personal comfort.
ENERGY STAR® was formed in 1992 as a voluntary, market-based partnership to reduce air pollution through increased energy efficiency. DOE, in partnership with EPA, works to offer businesses and consumers energy-efficient solutions to save energy and money while also helping to protect our environment for future generations. More than 9,000 organizations share this vision and have joined ENERGY STAR® as partners committed to improving the energy efficiency of products, homes and businesses each year forward.
DOE will highlight seven ENERGY STAR® Award Winners in the following categories:
- Bosch Home Appliances: Excellence in ENERGY STAR® Promotion - Appliances
- GE Consumer & Industrial: Sustained Excellence Award - Appliances & Lighting Manufacturer
- Gorell Enterprises, Inc.: Sustained Excellence Award - Windows, Doors, and Skylights
- Osram Sylvania: Sustained Excellence Award - Product Manufacturer
- Pella Corporation: Partner of the Year - Window Manufacturer
- Precision Entry, Inc.: Partner of the Year - Door ManufacturerWhirlpool Corporation: Sustained Excellence Award - Appliance Manufacturer
For more information on the ENERGY STAR®, visit: http://www.energystar.gov/.
Julie Ruggiero, (202) 586-4940