Leaders recognized for energy efficiency efforts
WASHINGTON , D.C.- U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Secretary Samuel W. Bodman and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Administrator Stephen L. Johnson tonight will honor 67 businesses, groups and government entities for their accomplishments and leadership in the ENERGY STAR® program. Organizations recognized have achieved major energy savings and/or are helping consumers save money while reducing energy needs in an environmentally friendly manner. The ENERGY STAR® Awards Ceremony will be held this evening at the Omni Shoreham Hotel in Washington, D.C.
"The ENERGY STAR® program represents the very best in energy efficiency," Energy Secretary Samuel W. Bodman said. "We commend our partners for their accomplishments and we look forward to the continued success and development of energy-efficient, ENERGY STAR® products."
Over the past year, ENERGY STAR®, with its industry partners, has helped provide consumers with energy-savings options, saving 150 billion kilowatt hours (kWh) hours of electricity, equivalent to $12 billion on electric bills; enough to power a city the size of Dallas, Texas, for over 36 years. This was accomplished while maintaining or surpassing quality standards, improving features and enhancing personal comfort on a variety of ENERGY STAR® products.
ENERGY STAR® was formed in 1992 as a voluntary, market-based partnership to reduce air pollution through increased energy efficiency. In partnership with DOE, EPA works to offer businesses and consumers solutions to save energy and money while helping to protect our environment for future generations. More than 8,000 organizations share this vision and have joined ENERGY STAR® as partners committed to improving the energy efficiency of products, homes and businesses.
ENERGY STAR® Top Award Winners:
- Whirlpool Corporation: Sustained Excellence Award - Appliances
- GE Consumer & Industrial: Sustained Excellence Award - Appliances and Lighting
- Osram Sylvania: Sustained Excellence Award - Lighting
- Gorell Windows and Doors: Sustained Excellence Award - Windows
- Precision Entry Inc: Partner of the Year - Doors
- The Home Depot: Partner of the Year - Retail
- Maytag Corporation: Excellence in ENERGY STAR® Outreach
- Lowe's Corporation: Excellence in ENERGY STAR® Outreach
- Sears, Roebuck and Co.: Excellence in ENERGY STAR® Outreach
- Sierra Pacific Power Co.: Nevada Power Co. Excellence in ENERGY STAR® Outreach
For more information, please visit http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=pt_awards.pt_es_awards, which will have details of the award winners once they have been announced.
Craig Stevens, (202) 586-4940